Friday, October 28, 2011

"Made in Canada" via China?

There are a lot of Canadian companies but are any of their products actually made in Canada?

If we look at Molson they actually have more breweries in the USA than in Canada. How about Roots? Their website screams Canadian, however in reality only 40% of their goods are actually made in Canada (the other 60% are made in China, Peru and India).
The article, Not Made in Canada shows that Canadian brands, who have their headquarters in Canada, are not primarily selling products made in Canada. For example: Le Chateau (40% made in Canada), Jacob (20%), Reitmans (0%), and Lululemon (undisclosed).
To tie this in with underwear, La Senza does not disclose the percentage of lingerie they make in Canada but most of their labels say Cambodia, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. When researching men’s underwear on Google the first brand to come up is Dylan Ribkoff which is made completely in Canada.
As the global marketplace is becoming even more competitive, companies are producing products for cheaper by outsourcing labour and using foreign resources. However, does this come at a price? In my opinion, consumer perception and quality are affected when Canadian companies have products that are not made in Canada. At the end of the day, it’s all about trust in the sense that consumers are willing to pay more for a brand they trust.
What are your views on products that are actually made in Canada? Do you care where your clothing is made? Do you agree the idea in the image below?

- Michelle

12 comments:

  1. Wow! and to think most of us feel proud whenever we see our country's name attached to these companies. Now we need to question if they deserve the use this name for promotion at all.

    Very informative article, I would recommend as "must-read" to all those who buy "made in Canada" products for the sake of helping our country.

    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for supporting the local economy but also see the economic side of it where entrepreneurs need to do what's cheapest and most efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly do not look at the tag of clothing. I know when it comes to produce, I prefer buying local fruit and veggies because its fresher... But when it comes to quality of clothing, I rely mostly on feel and reliability, and not on the tag. Having said that: I'd be much more compelled to spend 20$ on underwear made in Canada, vs 20$ made in China. The issue is, Chinese makes end up being cheaper....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really care where my clothing is made as long as it's cheap!

    I was surprised to learn that the Canadian companies listed above don't manufacture their products in Canada but I guess we can say that they support the Canadian economy in other ways..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That image in my opinion is correct. Buying Canadian supports the economy by giving Canadian jobs and creates tax revenue.
    I would say that many companies today are outsourcing mainly because they have to remain competitive in a changing market. But the labor in other countries is cheaper because the workers are paid a lot less than in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never checked my labels for where my clothes are made. As Mattan said, I rely more on feel and reliability. In terms of food, I'd also prefer to buy local because I perceive it as fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting topic! I think that Canadian products generally tend to be high on quality. I am always ready to pay a couple of bucks more for a product that is locally made and to encourage local businesses, however, if I end up paying significantly more for a Canadian product when I can get the exact same quality from a made in china product, I can't lie, I'll buy the one made in china !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We need to be pro Canadian in order to survive this economic turmoil!
    Great blog post!

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's pretty interesting that clothes are not even made in Canada. I agree that Canadian companies should have their clothes made here instead of outside even if labor is relatively cheaper elsewhere. I would rather pay for good quality, manufactured items. However I usually check my labels and if products are made here, I tend I want to buy the item a little more

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't matter where they are made so long as quality & price is right. I believe here in Canada when it says Made in Canada it only means that the company is Canadian, but if it says 100% Canadian, it is then 100% made here as well. I could be wrong.
    I also believe that Lulu is mostly made in Canada, but the materials are bought in the far east...
    Truth is, importing the materials at a cheaper cost doesn't help with employment in Canada, but it does help with our overall sales in this country... Free Trade is what will save us from this tough economic time

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that it is important to support the Canadian economy and therefore a Made in Canada label does influence my decison in purchasing clothes. I also tend to associate Made in Canada with a better quality product so I don't mind paying more for the item.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always pick a made in Canada (or First world country) over China.

    ReplyDelete